To buy or not to buy the best storm doors? That is the question. Before you rush out and buy one for your front door, why not spend a few minutes thinking about how useful you could find one and some of the features of a good quality storm door.
When the temperature drops or fierce storms blow in, it’s best to make sure the entryway to your home remains safe. Installing the best storm doors is an important part of your home’s overall weather resistance and can enhance the aesthetic appeal of your front entrance.
But with so many options available, how do you decide which storm door is best for you? Let’s take a look at what storm doors are on the market, what they’re made of, and how you can determine whether or not they’re right for you.
The Top 6 Storm Doors of 2023
Last update on 2023-04-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Titan 32×80 Meshtec Ultimate Security Storm Door
The Titan Meshtec Ultimate Security Storm Door offers a great deal of security against unwanted intruders due to its vault style 3-point locking system.
The white aluminum frame is ideal for heavy-duty use and adds a sophisticated look to your house. The rust-proof frame and powder coat not only gives it a beautiful finish, but it also adds a layer of protection to keep your storm door lasting longer.
The 32-inch storm door also features a tempered glass panel and an advanced high tensile-strength stainless steel screen. Its innovative design allows a clear, full view with maximum airflow. Moreover, the mesh screen is resilient as it is designed to resist scratched, clawing, and the use of break-in tools.
The original cam system makes it convenient for you to install and remove the door with change in seasons.
- It offers some of the best security.
- It has a rust-proof frame.
- It provides a full view and airflow.
- It is pet friendly.
- It is easy to install.
- It is quite expensive.
Prime-Line 3809BZ3068-I-WF Woodguard Steel Storm Door
Prime Line’s Woodguard Steel Security Door is a high-security door with 3 heavy-duty tamper-proof hinges. The design is non-handed, which means that you can install it to swing from the right or left, as per your preference.
The storm door features a pine wood overlay with a light oak finish, making it perfect for a home with a rustic outlook.
The high-quality welded steel frame is 36-inches in size and is made of a 24-gauge perforated steel mesh. It comes with a 3-piece 1-1/4-in outside mount frame and matching one-way security screws to help with the installation process.
- It is easy to install.
- It has a non-handed design.
- It has a strong and durable build.
- It has tamper-proof hinges.
- It is made of high-quality materials.
- Includes one-way matching security screws
- The doorknob and deadbolt are not included with the door.
LARSON 83001042 83001 36″BRN Storm Door
Another storm door with a rustic, homely touch is the LARSON 36-inch brown storm door. It features a wooden construction with a brass-tone finish. The material is highly durable and features a multi-vent solid wood finish. The screen combined with a multi-vent design glass window provides sufficient ventilation.
One of its best features is that it seals perfectly without leaving any gaps thanks to its magnetic weather stripping. A matching colored expander adapts to irregular sills.
- It comes with all hardware included.
- It has solid and secure handles.
- It has a magnetic weather strip to ensure complete sealing.
- The hinges are reversible, which enables both left and right mounts.
- It is easy to install.
- The door does not have a very efficient lock.
- It does not close smoothly.
CROFT METALS 163-36REV-WH 36″ WHT Storm Door
This white storm door from CROFT METALS showcases the best of quality and style. The white and blue storm door is built with sturdy, high-quality metal frame and glass. It comes with a screen, and is fitted with a universal hinge. It is very lightweight, making it easy to install.
However, when it comes to security, it may not be your best option as it does not feature a lock. You will need to install a lock or security camera separately.
- It features a stylish, modernistic design.
- It has a reversible design with universal hinge.
- It includes pocket-door-hardware.
- It is easy to install and use.
- It is made of highly sturdy material.
- The instructions can be difficult to follow.
- It does not come with a lock.
Prime-Line Products 3853BK3068-WF Flagstaff Storm Door
The Prime-Line Flagstaff Steel Security Door is 36 inches by 80 inches and offers exceptional quality and durability. The black finish and mesh screen give it an aesthetic look. It features a welded steel frame with a 24 gauge perforated steel mesh screen.
The heavy duty tamper proof hinges and one-way mounting screws make it a secure storm door that is easy to install. It has a non-handed design, which allows you to install it as you prefer, left swinging or right swinging. Its durability makes it a long-time investment, although it is preferred by a selective audience with a specific taste.
- It is sturdy and durable.
- It comes with tamper-proof hinges for extra security.
- It features a non-handed design.
- It gives an appealing outlook.
- At 86 pounds, it can be a little heavy.
- The metal frame is not rust-proof.
LARSON Pet View Storm Door
If you have pets, then you’ll need a door that not only lets your pet go in and out of the house freely, but is also scratch and claw resistant. The LARSON Pet View Storm Door offers just that. It has a 10 inch by 17 inch pet door that can fit pets up to 100 pounds through. The security panel keeps unwanted animals or insects out.
It also allows proper ventilation thanks to the Reversa Screen design. Moreover, the WearTuff screen is durable and tear-resistant, so you can rest assured that it won’t be easily scratched.
The material used is vinyl, making it easy to clean, low maintenance, and durable for extreme weather. It even has an adjustable speed closer to let you control how fast you want it to close.
- It is cost-effective.
- It is made of strong, solid wood.
- It allows top and bottom ventilation.
- It has a pet door.
- It has an adjustable speed closer.
- The vinyl material is maintenance-free.
- It is not durable enough to withstand freezing weather.
- Water might seep in through rainfall.
Our Pick for the Best Storm Door
In my opinion, the best storm door is one that not only offers you the most dependable protection but allows enough air and light to enter your home. Moreover, it should be durable enough to withstand harsh weather conditions.
For this reason, my top pick from the ones listed above would be the Titan 36×80 Meshtec Ultimate Security Storm Door. The three-point locking system and the solid mesh screen offer security and convenience. The aluminum frame is rust-proof, therefore durable and perfect for heavy-duty use. At its reasonable price, it truly offers the best value-for-money.
What to Consider When Installing Storm Doors?
When you are installing storm doors, knowing what to look for can make the difference between making a good purchase decision and saving money and having better quality door.
- Storm doors must be long-lasting, durable, and dependable. Therefore, the material of the frame should be taken into consideration. Most storm doors are made of aluminum, vinyl, steel, or composite. Aluminum is lighter, steel is more resistant, composite frames are more weather-resistant, and vinyl frames are more economical.
- If you prioritize security, then you should look for storm doors with heavy-duty locks, three-point locking systems, and shatter-resistant laminated safety glass.
- Extreme weather can wear out storm doors faster, but selecting the right one can work better for you. For example, in colder climates, you need a more durable frame to protect the main exterior door from snowstorms. In hotter climates, vinyl-coated fiberglass can block the heat without obstructing natural daylight.
- Measure your main door frame’s height and width, preferably also measure the fullness from different angles. Most storm doors range from 30 to 36 inches.
- Your door frame should complement the overall look of your house. Storm doors are available in a number of colors and finishes.
- You might want to consider other features that accompany storm doors, for example, convenient slide-away retractable screens or interchangeable glass and screen panels. Pneumatic closers or hydraulics can allow your door to close smoothly and automatically without making noise.
- Similarly, if you want your door to be pet-friendly, you can buy one with an in-built pet door.
- Cost is another factor to consider since you might need to replace your storm door often if you live in an area that frequently experiences extreme weather conditions.
FAQs About Storm Doors
Which company makes the best storm door? Larson is one of the best manufacturers when it comes to storm doors as they have many innovative designs that are practical and durable.
Should your storm door match your front door? Storm doors come in a variety of colors, and can be painted as per your preference. While many people don’t prefer their storm doors to match their front door, it depends on your personal preference. You can choose a color that compliments your front door or is a shade lighter or darker than your front door.
Which is better aluminum or wood core storm door? Aluminum storm doors are more durable, weather-resistant, and easy to install as compared to wood-core storm doors.
Is Larson and Pella the same company? Pella storm doors are made by Larson, with both companies combining their lines to produce the best products.
Are storm doors tacky? No, they are necessary to protect your home from extreme weather. Nowadays, many designs are available to choose from, so you can find storm doors with an aesthetic appeal.
How much does Lowes charge to install a storm door? The installation charges can range from $300 to $800, depending on the door type.
Is a storm door necessary? Yes, if you live in an area with extreme weather conditions. It reserves your house’s heat energy and protects your front door from snow, sleet, and rain. You might not need a storm door if you have a four feet overhang or a porch.
Conclusion: Best Storm Doors
A storm door is a great way to protect your home, especially if you live in a place with harsh winters. It can save you the cost of repairs and reduce the effects of damaging weather on your front door.
The most common reason that homeowners and business owners consider storm doors is to protect their entrances from the wear and tear of Mother Nature. Storm doors usually consist of a wooden outer frame, plastic panels, and a set of glass panels. Thanks to the additional door panel, they also deflect much of the wind that would otherwise ruin your window.
Storm doors are very easy to install if you follow a few guidelines. They can also be painted to match your home perfectly so that you don’t have to worry about ugly-looking frames ruining your property’s overall look.
If you live in an area that faces strong winds or snowstorms and are looking for a way to better protect your entrance, then a storm door is probably what you need.
If you’ve made it this far, it means that you have the determination to go that extra mile and get the job done. Thanks for reading!
Best Smart Lock For Double Doors