Have you ever wondered how to decide on a self defense cane? There are so many types and brands out there that it can be hard knowing what is the best cane to meet your needs. It took me many trips to stores, reading reviews, and watching hours of videos before I finally felt I could confidently recommend a great self defense cane for those who need one.
Martial arts training can be quite demanding on your body and mind. It requires discipline as well as concentration, but beyond the practice rooms, you’ll need to carry your belongings with you, which include your protective gear, from one place to another. This is where self defense canes come in handy.
- 1 The Top 6 Self Defense Canes
- 2 Our Pick for the Best Self Defense Cane
- 3 What To Consider Before Buying a Self-Defense Cane?
- 4 Conclusion: Self Defense Canes
The Top 6 Self Defense Canes
Last update on 2021-04-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Handcrafted Wood Walking Cane – Made by Brazos
This Handcrafted Wood Walking Cane made by Brazos has a twisted padauk pistol grip, making it easy to grasp. It is 37 inches long and is crafted using multiple wood types.
It features a signature twist that adds style and sophistication to the cane. The varnished wood gives it an elegant look. The hooked handle means that you can use it to pull on an attacker’s shoulder or leg.
Although it is a classical walking cane, it can effectively be used for self-defense. The simple look of a cane can be misleading to attackers, giving you the advantage.
At 1.15 pounds, it is lightweight and easy to carry. The hardwood material makes it strong and you can rest assured that the handle won’t come off like other regular walking canes.
Since it has no hidden weapons, you won’t run into any issues with security.
- It is lightweight.
- It is made of natural wood.
- It has a rubber trip for better grip.
- It is available in two sizes, 37 inches and 40 inches.
- It is made of strong and durable material.
- It is pricey.
- It does not have any unique self-defense features.
ZAP Stun Gun Walking Stick
The last product listed was developed for walking support. However, the ZAP Stun Gun Walking Stick is specifically made for self-defense. The stick contains a concealed shock provider which has a voltage of 1 million volts. That is enough to disable someone within 5 seconds. It is remarkable as a hidden stun device.
The walking stick comes with a soft nylon carrying case and can easily be recharged from a wall socket. The rubber handle provides a firm grip and protects you from getting shocked.
A fully charged stick can last up to 3 months and can shock almost 500 times. It also comes with a safety switch to protect it from accidently going off. In addition, it features an in-built LED flashlight on top.
- It has an adjustable height of 32 to 36 inches.
- It has a strong shock voltage.
- It can stay charged for 3 months.
- The stun gun feature acts as a hidden weapon.
- It has a bright LED flashlight.
- Moisture can cause the shock feature to stop working.
- The shocks are very loud.
Design Toscano PA9096 Bavarian Walking Stick
The Bavarian Walking Stick Hardwood Ax Self Defense Cane features an ornate ax-hammer handle and an oak stick. Weighing at 2 pounds, it is 35 inches long, making it considerably lightweight. Designed as a “brute force” self-defense cane, its outlook can deter most attackers.
This type of cane is easier to use for those people who don’t want to go through the trouble of learning cane self-defense techniques. The sharpened tip is another useful self-defense feature.
The polished and lacquered wood gives it an elegant look, making it perfect even for a display or as a prop. Since the ax gives it the look of a weapon, security might confiscate it from you.
- It has a sleek, stylish look.
- The ax-hammer handle is a unique self-defense feature.
- It is lightweight.
- It has a durable construction.
- It cannot bear weight, so it is unsuitable for orthopedic use.
- It is not very practical for functional use.
Treasure Gurus Silver Plated Dragon Head Cane Walking Stick
The Treasure Gurus Silver Plated Dragon Head Cane Walking Stick features a Chinese-style silver plated Dragon handle. Carefully crafted, it exhibits power and strength.
The beautiful antique design and chrome finish not only looks stylish but provides a smooth and secure grip.
The stick measures 34 inches from the head to the end of the metal shaft. Since the head is not curved, it cannot be used to pull on an attacker’s leg or shoulder. However, it can still be used for self-defense and as a functional walking stick.
The non-threatening look means that it does not appear as a weapon. Therefore, there is less of a chance of it being confiscated.
- It is silver plated.
- It has a stylish appearance.
- The head provides a secure grip.
- It is durable and strong.
- It can be slightly heavier than other walking sticks.
- The heavy handle can offset your balance in certain martial art maneuvers.
Walking Stick Premium Quality Rare Eagle Head
This 37-inch Premium Quality Rare Eagle Head Walking Stick features a nickel-plated brass handle. As a decorative walking cane, not only is it ideal for self-defense, but it can also be a unique gift for someone or part of a collection.
The hard metallic head and pointed beak makes an excellent weapon. If used with skill, it can even become an unassuming lethal weapon. At a reasonable price, this cane is perfect for practicing cane self-defense techniques.
Some models of this cane feature a hidden blade as an additional self-defense feature. This might cause you to run into trouble with security, especially if you are unaware that your stick contains one. For this reason, it might be wiser to contact the manufacturer beforehand to confirm.
- It has a metallic head for a smooth grip.
- It has a durable wooden build.
- It can be manufactured with a hidden blade.
- It is reasonably priced.
- The hidden blade can be illegal in some areas.
Original Bubba Stik “Classic” Style Walking Stick
The Original Bubba Stik “Classic” Style Walking Stick features a golden-brass hame handle. The handle is constructed to offer you a comfortable, smooth, and secure grip.
The ebony shaft itself is 36 to 39 inches long, 1 inch in diameter, and is made of American Red Oak wood. The anti-slip black rubber tip gives the stick its excellent functional aspect.
It weighs at 1.5 pounds, making it relatively lightweight and easy to carry.
The Bubba Walking Stick wasn’t designed especially for self-defense. The stylish appearance makes it a great option if you want to use it to walk around. The adjustable length allows you to cut it down to a size that is ideal for you.
- The brass handle is practical and hard-wearing.
- It has an adjustable length.
- It has a stylish appearance.
- It is cost-effective.
- It is made of durable material.
- It is functional as a walking cane and a self-defense cane.
- The metallic handle can make it a little top-heavy.
- The brass handle can wear over time, staining your hands.
Our Pick for the Best Self Defense Cane
A true can self-defense practitioner knows that anything can be a weapon if used correctly. A walking cane is no exception. The products listed above are some of the best options in the market.
However, if I were to pick the best choice out of them, I would have to go with the ZAP Stun Gun Walking Stick. If your goal is self-defense like mine, then a stun-gun cane is a better option, especially since you don’t need to know martial arts or any techniques to protect yourself.
The Zap Stun Gun Walking Stick has a long battery life, is easily rechargeable, and acts as a concealed weapon, which gives you the advantage against any attacker. Moreover, if you don’t want to use it on somebody, you can use the sound of the shock itself to deter any attacker or wild animal.
What To Consider Before Buying a Self-Defense Cane?
When it comes to defending yourself in a physical situation, you need the best self-defense cane to protect yourself. There are many variables that will affect your choice of which best self-defense cane is best for you.
It is important to note that it takes years of training to master the technique and skill of cane self-defense. Therefore, before you go buy any self-defense cane, you should consider the following key points.
- Some walking sticks have hidden weapons in them. If you are unaware of this, then you could run into problems with security in public places. Many states have laws prohibiting anyone to carry a concealed weapon, so make sure to do your research. It is also advisable to contact the manufacturer if you are unsure about your walking cane.
- Some counties or states might require you to carry a license if your walking stick has a hidden weapon feature.
- If you intentionally want to purchase a walking cane stick with a concealed weapon, you should make sure that you have concealed carry insurance. Many people are unaware that you can still get arrested if you used a weapon in self-defense. This insurance protects you from legal ramifications should you ever end up using the weapon of anyone.
There are four main types of canes for self-defense, electrical shocking canes, sword and hammer canes, gun canes, and tactical combat canes.
The one you decide to buy will depend on your individual needs. An electrical cane acts as a stun gun, a sword and hammer cane has a hidden sword inside it, a gun cane conceals an actual gun, which combat canes are purely wood or metal.
A cane can be a lethal weapon if used correctly, so make sure that you have the appropriate training before you rely on it completely for self-defense.
Conclusion: Self Defense Canes
We have now come to the end of this article and I hope that you have found it informative and somewhat entertaining. This article has looked at the best self defense canes on the market and has offered information on how you might go about choosing one or two for self-protection.
No, you’re not going to become a ninja but you can learn simple techniques for protecting yourself. I love to see people that are learning self-defense techniques and the self-defense canes are easily obtainable on the internet today.
Having a self-defense cane is one of the best ways to ensure you’re never taken by surprise during a street attack. Not only will you have a surprise tactic when your attacker doesn’t expect a cane, but it will also give you the ability to silently protect yourself from potential danger.
As we mentioned before, it’s not easy to defend yourself from an attack, but with practice and patience, you should be able to use your newfound skills to take down your attacker successfully.
With the self-defense cane in your hands, walking down the street will never be the same again. Instead of fearing for your safety, look forward to being confident that no one will ever get the jump on you!