Picking the best home security system can be difficult, especially if you are looking for a budget-friendly solution.
The good thing is that you do not have to pay a lot for a good home security system, and there are plenty of frugal options that will not break your bank and offer excellent security features and reliability.
There are several things that a good cheap home security system should be capable of offering, like good and reasonably priced equipment, low monthly fees with no long-term contracts, and reliable service.
If a self-monitoring option is offered, you may not even have to pay any monthly fees at all. However, it is worth noting that although you have to pay for a professionally monitored plan, a monitoring plan can help you get higher insurance discounts, which can help you save more than expected.
In this article, I have gone over the best cheap home security systems that are worth considering if you are on the market for an affordable security system.
Ring offers a wide selection of different smart security products at reasonable prices.
You are also free to pick whatever you need. You can get a video doorbell, a smart security camera, or a complete home security system with multiple magnetic sensors, motion detectors, cameras, panic buttons, and more.
Ring is Alexa compatible. However, if you want to make it work with Apple Homekit, you will need to use Homebridge, and Ring’s compatibility with Google is also very limited.
When it comes to monitoring services, you have several options to choose from
- Self Monitoring: It is completely free but offers limited functionality. You will still receive notification if something happens, but you are responsible for alerting the police or other emergency responders. There is no video history, but you can only drop in and view footage in real-time and use the two-way audio feature.
- Basic monitoring plan: It costs $3 per month or $30 per year if paid annually. However, the Basic plan can be used only for one camera or video doorbell. The Basic plan offers extra features like 60-day video history, snapshots, and other neat notifications and alerts.
- The Plus monitoring plan: It costs $10 per month or $100 per year if paid annually. The Ring Plus monitoring plan offers the same functionality as the Basic plan, but it can cover all your cameras and video doorbells.
- Ring Protect Pro – This monitoring plan is a little different. It costs $20 per month or $200 per year when paid annually. It is designed to combine both home security protection and internet protection while offering 24/7 professional monitoring, as well. It is Ring’s most advanced monitoring plan, but it is the most expensive as well. However, this plan also comes with a cellular backup.
Ring is definitely worth considering, there are no long-term contracts and no strings attached, and it is one of the cheapest and most popular solutions for home security.
Abode offers a lot of different home security devices and equipment with no long-term contracts. They fall in the same price range as Ring, although prices do vary from time to time.
The neat thing about Abode is that they allow for a lot of freedom when choosing the sensors, alarms, and cameras you want to get.
The Abode’s Smart Security Kit and Iota are also compatible with Apple HomeKit, Alexa, and Google Assistant.
There are two monitoring plans that you can choose from.
- Standard Plan: The Standard Plan is a self-monitoring plan and costs $6 per month or $60 per year when paid annually. It offers video storage for up to 10 days for multiple cameras, home automation features, and more.
- Pro Plan: The Pro Plan is a standard 24/7 professional monitoring plan, and it costs $20 per month or $200 per year when paid yearly. It also adds cellular backup to your home security system.
But there is one thing that makes Abode stand out from the crowd.
Abode offers on-demand professional monitoring for 3 or 7 days costing $8 and $15, respectively. This means that you can use the cheaper standard plan and switch to the 24/7 professional monitoring plan when you go away on vacation.
Surety is another company that may be worth considering.
Surety is an Alarm.com service provider and is aimed more at DIY and tech-inclined people.
If you already have an Alarm.com compatible home security system installed, then the whole setup can be pretty straightforward. However, if you are starting from scratch, it can be trickier to set up your home security system.
That said, Surety offers lower monthly services and equipment prices than other companies. They are also well known for their excellent customer support and reputation.
This is definitely worth noting and one of their best selling points.
Surety offers three different monthly subscription plans.
- Surety Automate
- Surety Alarm
- Surety Home.
You can also customize your Surety services to your needs by adding or removing different extra features and services.
Surety home security systems have a cellular backup, and each of the different optional security services and features can be added to each plan for a small additional fee. It is up to you to decide if you want to pay for professional monitoring or other extra features.
You can also turn the professional monitoring on for one month and then cancel it for the next, depending on your needs.
Their home security system is compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google’s smart speakers as well.
Surety also does not lock you into any long-term contracts since it is a monthly subscription-based service.
Additionally, many homeowners and experts consider using Alarm.com compatible hardware to be among the best solutions for home security while keeping costs within reasonable ranges.
Although Surety is one of the providers with an outstanding reputation, there are many different local Alarm.com service providers you can use depending on where you are located.
One of the great things about Eufy is that you can use their security cameras and equipment without paying any monthly subscription fees. The functionality will be limited, but it may be worth looking into if you are interested in paying as little as possible while also being able to receive notifications when a camera is triggered.
The other advantage to Eufy is that you can store the video footage locally with some of their cameras and equipment. This is good for people who appreciate the extra privacy of not having to store videos from their home to a cloud storage.
There are also two monitoring plans you can choose from if you want some extra functionality.
- Basic Plan: It allows you to inform the security team that there may be an emergency if an alarm has been triggered so they can confirm it with you and dispatch the emergency responders. It costs $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year if paid annually.
- Plus Plan: Includes everything the Basic Plan offers and adds 24/7 professional monitoring and a few other features. It costs $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year if paid annually.
Eufy offers a great variety of different smart cameras, equipment, and gadgets. The prices are reasonable, and there are often items going on sale.
Their support may not be the best out there, but the equipment is good and reliable.
Wyze is another company worth looking into if you are interested in budget-friendly home security systems.
Wyze offers home security cameras that can be purchased on their own and complete home security system solutions that can offer multiple levels of security.
The great thing about Wyze is that they offer very inexpensive monitoring plans.
The monitoring plan that comes with Wyze home security systems costs $4.99 per month. It offers 24/7 professional monitoring, emergency responders dispatch, and more.
You can also buy only Wyze cameras without a complete home security system, and you can use your Wyze camera without paying anything. There are also two Wyze camera service plans that you can go with.
- The Basic camera plan records 12-second video clips and has a 5 minute cooldown period between events.
- The Cam Plus plan is just $1.99 per month and offers unlimited video length, no cooldown, and many different extra features like person, package, pet, and vehicle detection, and more.
SimpliSafe home security systems are easy to use and set up because they are designed to be completely DIY. The equipment is reliable and affordable.
Depending on your preferences, you can pick one of several service plans.
- Self Monitoring plan: The functionality of your SimpliSafe system will be limited, but you will still have access to essential features like notifications, alerts, the ability to arm and disarm the system remotely, and video footage history that is stored for 30 days for up to 5 cameras It costs $9.99 per month.
- Standard Monitoring plan: This monitoring plan costs $14.99 per month and offers emergency responders dispatch but no video verification or video storage.
- Interactive Monitoring plan: It costs $24.99 per month and comes with 24/7 emergency responders dispatch and monitoring, video verification, video storage for up to 10 cameras for 30 days, and more.
You can also choose not to use any monitoring plan, in which case you will not have to pay any monthly subscription fees.
You will still receive notifications and be able to access your cameras remotely. However, the functionality of your SimpliSafe home security system will be limited, and you will be responsible for keeping an eye on the home security system.
Cove has had its ups and downs over the years.
However, they offer great home security equipment.
The prices of Cove equipment are very reasonable, and most customers are happy with the service they are receiving.
Cove home security systems are DIY, but they offer professional installation if needed for an additional fee.
To use Cove, you need a subscription, and you cannot self-monitor with their home security systems, so you will be stuck with paying a monthly subscription fee. However, Cove does not require long-term contracts. This means that you can cancel your service at any time.
There are two service plans you can choose from.
- Cove Basic: It costs $14.99 per month.
- Cove Plus: It costs $24.99 per month.
Both plans have 24/7 monitoring, a cellular backup, automated checks, and some extra features. The Cove Plus offers video storage, Alexa and Google Home integration, the ability to monitor your home using the Cove app on your mobile device, and more.
Conclusion: Cheapest Home Security Systems 2021
There you have it — our top picks for the best cheap home security systems. It was a fascinating journey, we looked at over 200 home security products and finally narrowed down and summarised the top ones all for you. If you want to live in a safer neighborhood and protect your loved ones affordably do invest in one of these.
We have provided a variety of inexpensive home security systems in our article. Whether you are a homeowner, landlord, renter, or own a small business, these could be very useful. We have also provided you with optional purchasing methods from DIY installation to other low-cost options offered by home security brands.
Thanks for reading my home security systems! If you found the information here useful, please feel free to share it with others using the social media links at the bottom of this page.
As always, be secure!