Security cameras that are powered over ethernet (POE) are extremely convenient as you won’t need a separate power cable running to them. The data cable that connects the camera to the NVR conveniently provides power to the camera.
In this article, we outline the best POE cameras currently on the market in terms of day and night image quality, IP ratings, focal lengths, viewing angles. And of course, POE capabilities.
Last update on 2020-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- 1 Reolink 8CH 5MP PoE Home Security Camera System
- 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2343G0-I POE Camera
- 3 Amcrest 5MP UltraHD Outdoor Security IP Turret PoE Camera
- 4 Amcrest ProHD 1080P POE (Power Over Ethernet) IP Camera
- 5 Amcrest UltraHD 4K (8MP) Outdoor Security IP Turret PoE Camera
- 6 JideTech POE IP Security Dome Camera
The Reolink POE camera is a strong performer and for the price, you won’t find anything better. The image quality is outstanding during the day and night.
There’s a free app that you can download to view the camera remotely and it also has a microphone for you to hear what’s happening.
It’s compatible with Google Assistant for voice commands and you can set up specific motion zones for the camera to monitor and alert you if it detects anything.
This is one of the best options that you can go for without doubting your decision in terms of value for money and reliable performance.
If for some reason you require 4K video quality, you should check the Amcrest Ultra HD 4K camera further down in this article.
- With a resolution of 2560×1920, it’s more than double 1080p which makes it ideal for monitoring large outdoor areas.
- Even though it has a focal length of 4, it outperforms most 3.6mm cameras in terms of maximum viewing angles.
- The POE can reach up to 330 feet in range for large properties.
- You can record 7 days of footage with the use of a 3TB HDD.
- This camera is IP66 rated to withstand harsh weather conditions.
You can see the stand-alone camera here on Amazon.
There is also an option for 4 X Cameras and an NVR system for a complete solution.
Hikvision DS-2CD2343G0-I POE Camera
The Hikvision works well to produce a high-quality image even in complete darkness.
It also has an SD slot as a back-up for if your NVR loses power for whatever reason.
Nothing else really stands out in terms of this camera’s features and I think it’s a bit steep on the pricing as well compared to the others on this list.
None the less it’s a solid performer and still meets the requirements needed to qualify as one of the best POE cameras available.
- Full HD 1080p video and 4MP High Resolution capable of dual video streams.
- A focal length of 2.8mm Fixed Lens ensures wide viewing angles.
- The POE supports up to a 100-foot range which is surprisingly short compared to others.
- With h.265+ and H.264 format compatibility, you’ll be able to store more footage on less HDD space.
- This camera is rated IP67 Weather Proof so you can leave it out in the harshest weather conditions.
Check the camera out here on Amazon.
Amcrest 5MP UltraHD Outdoor Security IP Turret PoE Camera
With this Amcrest option, you have audio recording features as well. The resolution is more than double that of 1080p so you can monitor a large 103° field in superb detail.
It has a high waterproof rating of IP67 to keep it working even in the harshest rain storms.
This camera also features remote viewing and motion alerts and has brilliant night viewing capabilities for you to effectively monitor your property 24 hours a day.
- A 2592×1944 resolution with a 5MP camera delivers high-quality images for identifying numberplates and facial distinctions.
- It has a 2.8mm focal length and a superwide 103° viewing angle to monitor a large area.
- This camera requires a POE injector or switch and will have a 328-foot POE range with the ethernet cable.
- Also capable of saving footage in h.265 / h.264 compression formats for lower HDD space usage.
- This camera has an IP67 housing to keep the camera dry and working even in heavy rain.
Here’s the Amazon listing for the single camera.
Amcrest ProHD 1080P POE (Power Over Ethernet) IP Camera
This is a great option if you’re looking for two-way communication in a smart camera. It will also alert you if it detects motion which you can follow up on with your phone.
With a remote 360° pan and tilt capability, you can monitor a large area like the front yard without needing a super-wide lens.
The only real downfall with this camera is that it’s not rated for outdoor use so don’t get it wet. Having said that, it still makes it on to the list of best POE cameras for all the other amazing features it offers.
- This is a 2MP, 1920 x 1080 resolution, and a 90° viewing angle and produces stunning images.
- It has a motorized varifocal lens of 2.7 to 13.5mm to give you the ability to focus on specific viewing angles.
- It’s ready to go with POE with a 328-foot range.
- This camera uses an h.264 compression format for lower HDD usage.
- Unfortunately, this camera is not weatherproof and is not recommended for outdoor use unless it’s under some sort of roof for cover.
See the current deals for this camera on Amazon.
Amcrest UltraHD 4K (8MP) Outdoor Security IP Turret PoE Camera
For those of you who need a 4K security camera, this is a perfect option at a decent price level.
It’s capable of recording at night at 164ft away and you’ll be able to identify number plates and faces much easier compared to the standard HD cameras. If you need to monitor a huge area, a 4K camera will be ideal for you.
It has a very strong metal housing and will withstand all types of severe outdoor weather.
This camera does not have a motorized pan and tilt function. You can tilt and pan it to the desired position while you’re installing it and then it will stay that way until you physically move it again if required.
- With an 8MP resolution of 3840×2160, this camera has an ultra-high quality at 4K.
- The focal length on this camera is 2.8mm and it supports a 112° viewing angle.
- You’ll have to buy your own injector which will give the camera POE compatibility which will reach 328-feet in distance.
- It supports both h.264 and h.265 compression formats to efficiently use your HDD space.
- A heavy-duty metal housing protects the camera and gives it an IP67 rating so you can use it outdoors in the rain or shine without a worry.
Here’s the Amazon listing for a single camera.
JideTech POE IP Security Dome Camera
If you’re monitoring an area with a lot of detail, like a large business perhaps, this camera will help if you want to zoom into that detail.
It has a whopping 20X optical zoom which is massively above and beyond any other cameras on this list.
It’s POE ready without buying anything extra.
The pan and tilt functionality is always a great thing when you need to monitor areas that are just out of frame. This is a very stable camera with a lot to offer in terms of high-end features.
- This is a 5MP camera with a 2592×1944 resolution, a 20X optical zoom, and is motorized for you to be able to pan and tilt remotely.
- The pan range is 360° and the tilt range is 90° giving you options to view anything in the area.
- The POE functionality comes standard without adding any injector and will reach 328 feet in distance.
- It can use both h.265 and h.264 formats for compression.
- An IP66 rating makes this camera weather resistant for the outdoors.
Check the current pricing on Amazon.
Conclusion: POE Cameras
The POE capable security cameras above are all exceptional performers no matter which one you choose, you can’t go wrong.
Depending on whether you’re going to install the camera indoors or outdoors will determine your ultimate decision.
Make sure to check which ones come with strait POE connectivity compared to those that require an injector so that don’t land up ordering the extra part after receiving the camera.
If you not entirely sure which one to go for, I suggest just going for the Reolink as it will get the job done extremely well and won’t cost you too much.