If you’re looking to protect important documents from fire, there are some great products on the market today. You can buy a fireproof safe that protects the contents of your safe no matter what happens and remain worry-free.
Last update on 2021-09-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- 1 The Top Fireproof Safes for Documents
- 1.1 First Alert 2037F Water and Fire Protector File Chest
- 1.2 SentrySafe 1200 Fireproof Box with Key Lock
- 1.3 Amazon Basics Fire Resistant Box Safe
- 1.4 SureSeal by FireKing SS104-A
- 1.5 First Alert 2087F-BD For Documents
- 1.6 SentrySafe SFW205GQC
- 1.7 Honeywell 30 Minute Fire Safe Waterproof Safe Box Chest
- 1.8 Mesa Safe Company Model MBF1512E Burglary and Fire Safe
- 2 Which Fireproof Safe Should You Choose For Your Documents?
- 3 Things to Consider Before Buying a Fireproof Safe for Documents
- 4 Conclusion
The Top Fireproof Safes for Documents
First Alert 2037F Water and Fire Protector File Chest
If affordability is your primary consideration when buying fireproof safes, the First Alert 2037F Water and Fire Protector File Chest is a great option.
First Alert is one of the best safe manufacturing companies out there, which is why this product is first on our list. It can hold letter-size hanging file folders, making it ideal for storing your documents.
The compact size of 16.25 x 13.25 x 13 inches makes it easy to store in your closet or under your desk. It offers a high level of protection at a reasonable price, with a thirty-minute fireproof rating of 1550 degrees Fahrenheit.
The solid build weighs 39 pounds, therefore it can be easily carried or moved to another location. However, this model has been largely discontinued, so it may be difficult to find.
- It is compact-sized but can store file folders.
- It is cost-effective.
- The product has been discontinued.
SentrySafe 1200 Fireproof Box with Key Lock
With a lightweight size of 14.3 x 11.2 x 6.1 inches, the SentrySafe 1200 Fireproof Box with Key Lock, 0.18 Cubic Feet has enough room to store important documents and small items.
The built-in handle and 13-pound weight of this safe make it easy to carry around.
For protection, it has a lock with two keys. It is fireproof to endure 30 minutes at 1550 degrees Fahrenheit, but it is not classified as waterproof. Moreover, it is ETL verified to protect digital devices such as DVDs, USBs, and CDs.
This product is an excellent alternative to a ‘bolted down’ safe if you travel frequently and require a secure case to carry your important documents.
- It is portable and lightweight.
- It is inexpensive.
- It can protect digital mediums from fire damage.
- Its internal capacity is limited, i.e., 0.18 cubic feet.
- It is not waterproof.
Amazon Basics Fire Resistant Box Safe
Although pricier than the previous two options on our list, the Amazon Basics Fire Resistant Box Safe has excellent features.
This product is more suitable for people who want to store more than just documents in their safe due to the level of protection it offers.
The 14-gauge heavy-duty steel safe weighs 90 pounds, making it extremely durable, but also heavy. Along with an electronic keypad, it comes with a back-up emergency key for extra security and ease of access.
The fireproof rating is slightly lower than the previously mentioned products, i.e., 20 minutes at 1200 degrees Fahrenheit, and it is not designed to be waterproof.
- It provides decent protection.
- It is made of durable material.
- It is not waterproof.
- It comes with a one-year warranty, which is shorter than other safes’ warranties.
SureSeal by FireKing SS104-A
The SureSeal by FireKing SS104-A is a value-for-money safe which offers great protection against fire and water. It is also floodproof thanks to its ability to float.
Sized 7 x 19 ⅞ x 17 inches, it can hold letter-sized documents and other small items, such as flash drives and DVDs. Although it has a built-in handle, its weight of 56 pounds makes it heavy to carry.
Moreover, it has a warranty of seven years. I personally believe that their price is justified by the product quality.
- It is fireproof for 1 hour.
- It is waterproof for 2 hours.
- It is floodproof.
- It has a long warranty.
- The lock doesn’t offer great security.
- It is heavy to carry.
First Alert 2087F-BD For Documents
Another safe manufactured by First Alert, the First Alert 2087F-BD safe is one of my favorites on this list. I
ts 0.94 cubic feet capacity allows for ample storage of files, electronics, documents, etc. The fireproof rating of 1 hour at 1700 degrees Fahrenheit and the waterproof seal make it ideal to keep its contents protected.
The company’s Ready-Seal technology, anti-theft features, pry-proof hinges, and four door bolts make it extremely secure. Furthermore, it comes with a five-year warranty.
- It has a large storage capacity.
- It remains waterproof and fireproof even after being bolted down.
- It has a five-year warranty.
- It is heavy, weighing more than 80 pounds.
- Reviews have noted that it has moisture issues.
The SentrySafe SFW205GQC is designed and ETL Verified to endure a 15-foot fall during a fire and remain secure.
It has a fireproof rating of 1 hour at 1700 degrees Fahrenheit and is waterproof for up to 24 hours in 8 inches of water.
This model protects your valuables and irreplaceable documents in its 2.05 cubic foot capacity and size of 18.6 x 19.3 x 23.8 inches. However, it is hefty weighing 125 pounds. Interior lights add a touch of sophistication to the safe.
In addition to a digital combination and a secondary locking key, its safety features include six live-locking bolts, steel construction, pry-resistant hinge bars, and bolt-down hardware. These anti-theft features are admirable, as you can rely on your safe being secure in most circumstances.
- It is very secure with a double safety feature.
- It is durable and sturdy.
- It is waterproof and floodproof.
- Its weight limits its portability.
- It requires six AA alkaline batteries to power the interior lights.
Honeywell 30 Minute Fire Safe Waterproof Safe Box Chest
Another affordable and portable contender is the Honeywell 30 Minute Fire Safe Waterproof Safe Box Chest with Carry Handle, Medium, 1103. This product is suitable if you want a compact safe to store your documents.
It looks like a briefcase, but is a sturdy fireproof safe, with a fireproof rating of up to 1 hour at 1700 degrees Fahrenheit. Moreover, it is waterproof and floodproof for almost 100 hours under 39 inches of water.
Weighing at 50 pounds, it is easy to carry around and store in your closet or even under your bed. However, it uses a simple key lock that doesn’t offer the best protection.
- It has a seven year warranty.
- Its waterproof seal can last up to 100 hours.
- It is easily portable.
- It is highly effective in protecting its contents.
- The built-in handle is not very secure.
- The lock mechanism is not the best.
Mesa Safe Company Model MBF1512E Burglary and Fire Safe
If you’re looking to splurge on the best fireproof safe for documents, you can consider the Mesa Safe Company Model MBF1512E Burglary and Fire Safe with Electronic Lock.
This pricey model weighs 139 pounds and has an internal capacity 1.7 cubic foot. Its size of 18.75 x 17.25 x 20 inches gives it ample space to store valuable documents and items such as jewelry, cash, digital media, and more.
The safe has a fireproof rating of 2 hours, but its water endurance is not specified. The exterior is made up of steel with a matte paint finish, giving it a stylish look. Its security features include 6 bolts and an electronic keypad. However, this safe has a lower warranty than many other safes of the same quality.
- It is durable.
- It has a large storage capacity.
- It is expensive.
- It is heavy and difficult to carry.
- It has a warranty of one year.
- It is not waterproof.
Which Fireproof Safe Should You Choose For Your Documents?
The fireproof safe you choose will depend on your priorities and unique requirements. We prefer a safe that offers more security and is value for money. That is why our best pick from the above-mentioned list is the SentrySafe SFW205GQC.
It has impressive waterproof and fireproof endurance qualities, and the double safety feature acts as another protective measure.
If you feel that the chances of a burglar entering your home are higher than a fire or flood occurring, you should make sure your safe has the right anti-theft features.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Fireproof Safe for Documents
When shopping for fireproof safes for documents, there are several factors to consider to ensure that you end up with the best one for your needs. There are many types of fireproof safes available, and each type has its own set of features. While most fireproof file safes are suitable for home use, you need to make sure that you get the right one.
- Not all fireproof safes are designed to protect documents. You should choose a safe that is watertight and secure with a locking mechanism.
- Humidity can damage contents in the safe, whether it be jewelry, money, or documents. Some safes come with a silica-gel packet to absorb the moisture, while others advise you to check on the safe contents every few weeks and air them out.
- The safe you choose should not be so heavy that you have trouble moving or carrying it. Smaller safes also cost comparatively less than larger ones.
- An expensive safe with a fireproof protection rating of more than 2 hours is not worth your money as most house fires are put out in under an hour.
- You should always make sure the safe you buy has been properly tested and rated by UL and ETL. The internal temperature of the safe should stay below 350 degrees Fahrenheit to protect paper documentation. Most safes are tested to withstand a temperature of 1550 degrees Fahrenheit, for up to 30 minutes.
It is sad to imagine how irreplaceable the documents that you have saved in your safes can be. Theft, vandalism, fire, and theft are just a few factors that can do damage to these documents.
Now, it is common that you can’t take these documents with you when you are on the go such as on an adventure vacation or when commuting from one place to another. These situations require you to be prepared to safeguard your important documents during your time away.
In times of emergencies like fire, flood, or natural disaster where even safety gear and rescue materials cannot help out yet you still have these essential papers? Well, it is better for you to have a handy fireproof safe for documents than not.
Having a fireproof safe for documents is a great idea. Not just because your important stuff would be protected, but also because of the peace of mind that comes with it. Your belongings are certainly precious to you, but you can enjoy an even greater sense of accomplishment once that safe is installed in your home.
There you have it, we hoped that our Fireproof Safes reviews and buyer’s guide helped you find the perfect safe for your needs. We believe that we made all the relevant points and if we forgot anything or you still need help deciding, then please don’t hesitate to contact us.